We get a lot of questions regarding carrier oils. How do you use them? Which oils are best? What's the perfect ratio between essential oil and carrier oil? We decided to dedicate this blog post to uncovering the fine details of using carrier oils.
What is a carrier oil?
A carrier oil, also known as a base or vegetable oil, is generally derived from the seeds of a plant. Carrier oils are used to dilute essential oils before they are applied to the skin. They are so named because they ‘carry’ or transfer the beautiful aroma along with the benefits of the essential oil onto the skin.
Powerful, highly concentrated essential oils can cause skin irritations when applied directly. Carrier oils are necessary when working with essential oils to dilute the potency and make them safe for use on the skin.
How do you use carrier oils?
- Make your own essential oil blends – If you are an avid essential oil lover, or just beginning to dabble in the vast world of aromatherapy, making your own essential oil blends is a deeply rewarding hobby. You can make your own blends for a multitude of needs including; rest, relaxation, meditation, clarity, uplifting mood, easing a common cold… the list goes on…
- Make your own body care products – You do not need to limit yourself to essential oils in the world of carrier oils. There is a plethora of creations you can create to suit your personal tastes from lip balms, to salves, moisturizers, eye creams, shampoo, deodorant and so much more.
- Make your own herbal infusions – For all of our friends who love working with the medicinal aspect of plants. A carrier oil can be used to make your own healing oils for your medicine cabinet.
- A pure single-ingredient moisturizer – There are so many of us who want to use something pure and simple on our bodies. A carrier oil is incredibly easy and effective way to deeply nourish the skin. We recommend moisturizing immediately following a shower or bath for the best absorption.
What oils are best to use?
The most important things to look for in a good carrier oil are #1) Cold Pressed and #2) Certified Organic. We are firm believers (and advocates) in the quality of ingredients. Cold-Pressed oils are extracted at a low temperature, keeping the beneficial nutrients in the oil. The nutrients feed the skin keep it healthy and glowing from the inside out. Always seek out Certified Organic products to ensure the absence of chemicals and pesticides, because who want’s to put that on their body? Look for an organic seal - a certification is a consumer's guarantee that the product is truly organic and is regularly audited by a third party.
A Few of Our Favorite Carrier Oils:
- Organic Clear Jojoba Oil: This is a truly clean pallet. It is void of any color or scent allowing the addition of essential oils to shine in their purest form. Inesscents Organic Clear Jojoba Oil is cold-pressed and produced by a Certified Organic Farm in Arizona, where Jojoba is native. The Jojoba seed is crushed to obtain a brilliant golden liquid and is then filtered through clay to remove color and natural scent.
- Organic Almond Oil: Inesscents Organic Almond Oil is a cold-pressed natural emollient, which softens, soothes and reconditions dry skin. It is easily absorbed and does not feel greasy or clog pores. Our almond oil is cold-pressed in central California by a family owned Certified Organic Farm.
- Organic African Shea Oil: Inesscents African Shea Oil deeply penetrates and moisturizes the skin, protecting against the damaging effects of the elements. It is rich in hydrating fatty acids to promote a luxurious elegant feel.
- Organic Avocado Oil: Inesscents Organic Avocado Oil is a cold-pressed, ultra-rich and nutrient dense body oil that is full of vitamins and essential fatty acids beneficial for the skin. This rich, green oil is made from the fresh meat of the avocado and supports the skin’s ability to retain moisture. If it is a color and odor that is pleasing to your senses, then enjoy its healthful benefits to the skin and hair.
Remember, it’s all about you. Your skin and personal taste will guide you to the right oil for your skin. All are nutrient dense and fabulous, so have fun finding your match.